Dealing with Erectile Dysfunction (ED) can be a daunting task for any man, especially if you’re in your younger years. There are many causes of ED. Some could be physiological while others could be psychological. Visit a doctor to ascertain the real cause of your ED and get started on treatment as soon as possible.
If your doctor rules out any physiological causes, then the best way to deal with your ED is to explore your lifestyle issues and deal with any underlying psychological issues that could be facing.
There are several ways to deal with psychological issues:
Changing your Lifestyle
The way you live your day to day life could contribute to ED. So take a quick evaluation of your life and see the things that could be affecting you negatively. A few lifestyle changes that you should make include:
- Stopping smoking: Smoking causes damage to your arteries which means blood pumping is constricted. This then affects blood circulation in your body. Good blood flow to your penis is important in keeping your erection going.
- Take alcohol in moderation: Alcohol, when taken in excess, affects your arousal levels by lowering your testosterone levels. Testosterone is important in dilating the blood vessels in your penis. So if you take alcohol, drink in moderation.
- Avoid recreational drugs: Drugs including narcotics, hallucinogens, and stimulants can affect your sexual performance. Some prescription drugs can also cause temporary ED but don’t stop taking them unless your doctor tells you to take alternative medication. Recreational drugs should be avoided at all cost.
- Watch your weight: If you’re overweight it’s important that you work on reducing your weight. Obesity increases your chances of getting atherosclerosis. This reduces blood flow to your organs including the penis. Being overweight will also lower your testosterone levels.
- Exercise regularly: Regular exercise is not only important for those trying to lose weight but also for everyone trying to live a healthy life. Cardiovascular exercise is great for stimulating blood circulation. Exercise is also great for toning your muscles, improving your general stamina, self-esteem, as well as self-confidence.
Stress is a major reason for erectile dysfunction especially in men below 40 years. There are many reasons why you could be experiencing stress in your life and there’s really no one size solution for everyone. To lay off the pressure try doing the following:
- Do everything in moderation: Whatever you do in moderation will ultimately affect your life. Whether it’s exercising, working, eating and so on, establish a moderate routine. This will avoid a buildup of stress in your life.
- Get enough rest: Lack of sleep and rest will deplete your energy and this can affect your mood as well as your arousal levels. Fatigue affects the nerve signals sent from your brain to your sex organs. If you realize that you’re excessively fatigued, make sure that you see your doctor as it could be an indication of another underlying medical condition.
- Manage your stress: Find out what is stressing you and then find ways to manage your stress. This will help reduce your ED. Trying prepare well for big life changes such as moving houses, changing jobs, breakups, marriage, divorce etc. to ensure that they don’t get too stressful for you.
Erectile Dysfunction or impotence can be a big bummer and can make your life difficult. Addressing the root cause of your ED will help you to deal with it sooner. When the cause is psychological, adjusting a few things in your life can be the answer. If anyone wishes to take the first step in changing their sex life, Shim clinic provides private and confidential service and treatments. Contact us here.
Pingback: Effectiveness of Psychological Treatments for E...