Sexual/sexual Singapore: Sexual/sexual clinic, Singapore. Private and confidential service. Definitions, references, and latest news.
Sexual/sexual classification and terminology
- Sexually transmitted disease (STD) - refers only to infections that are causing symptoms.
- Sexually transmitted infection (STI) - refers to infection with any germ that can cause an STD, even if the infected person has no symptoms.
- Venereal disease (VD) - term used before the 1990s.
- Genitourinary medicine (GUM) is an expanding specialty which is primarily related to the treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted infections (STIs).
- Sexual health is a state of physical, emotional, mental and social well-being in relation to sexuality; it is not merely the absence of disease, dysfunction or infirmity. Sexual health requires a positive and respectful approach to sexuality and sexual relationships, as well as the possibility of having pleasurable and safe sexual experiences, free of coercion, discrimination and violence. For sexual health to be attained and maintained, the sexual rights of all persons must be respected, protected and fulfilled.
- Sex or "sexual activity" means — (a) sexual activity occasioned by the introduction into the vagina, anus or mouth of any person of any part of the penis of another person; or (b) cunnilingus.
- Defining sexual health
- INFECTIOUS DISEASES ACT (CHAPTER 137) REVISED EDITION 2003 @statutes.agc.gov.sg
|HIV infection||Human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)||2-4w||50% None, |
acute seroconversion syndrome
|Hepatitis B||Hepatitis B virus (HBV)||40-160d||Flu-like: |
|Genital herpes||Herpes simplex virus (HSV)||1d-2w||Multiple painful blisters & ulcers||HSV Serology |
|Genital warts||Human papillomavirus (HPV)||3-6m||Cauliflower growths||HPV test|
|Molluscum contagiosum||Molluscum contagiosum virus (MCV)||2-7w||Pearly growths||Histology|
|Syphilis||Treponema pallidum||9-90d||Chancre: |
|VDRL test |
|<1 year||Asymptomatic: |
|>1 year||Asymptomatic: |
|5-10 years||Benign gumma, |
|Gonorrhoea (UK) |
|Neisseria gonorrhoeae||1d-2w||Urethral 90%, |
pain & discharge
|Gram-negative intracellular diplococci smear, |
|Chlamydia infection||Chlamydia trachomatis||1-3w||Pain & discharge||Chlamydia PCR|
|Trichomoniasis||Trichomonas vaginalis||Female: foul discharge & itch |
|BD Affirm™ VP III|
|Candida albicans||Female: cheesy discharge & itch |
|BD Affirm™ VP III|