Emergency Contraception Singapore | Shim Clinic
Emergency Contraception Singapore. Emergency contraception is a treatment to reduce the risk of a female getting pregnant, which is started soon after unprotected sex like condom break, slip, or no condom. It usually involves the consumption of pills within 72 hours after intercourse.
The morning-after pill is usually the medication of choice.
It is useful in situations of contraceptive failure:
- Condom failure results in Unprotected sex:
- Other contraceptive failure
Advice / points to note about emergency contraception:
- The emergency contraceptive is more effective the sooner it is taken after sex.
- There are mainly two formulations available:
- One formulation is effective up to 3 days after unprotected sex.
- Another formulation is effective up to 5 days after unprotected sex.
- It is recommended that it should not be used more than twice in a month.
- Other methods of regular contraception are usually recommended: condom, oral contraceptive (OC), and contraceptive patch.
- It may cause a temporary disruption in the rhythm of the regular menstrual cycle. But if the next menstrual cycle does not come, then a pregnancy test should be done.
- In a few people, it may cause some of the following side effects:
Important points to note:
- The morning-after / day-after emergency contraceptive is not available over the counter.
- It is available only by prescription, after seeing a doctor.
- Boyfriends cannot consult with the doctor on behalf of his girlfriend.
- The girl herself must register to see the doctor.
- The girl must be 16 years of age or older when the sex occurred.
- Do not ask if we know of other clinics providing this medication. We are not a directory service.
- It is in stock at this clinic, NOW!